Friday, February 06, 2009

Not to Poke my Friends in the Eye, but...

Today Ben Sheets reportedly reached an agreement with the Texas Rangers on a 2-year deal. All that remained was for him to pass a physical.

At which point a torn flexor tendon was discovered. So much for passing that physical. Or getting the 2-year deal. Or a deal from any team, for that matter.

Now, I could sit here and tell you I knew all along there was something really, really wrong with Ben; that it was obvious from watching him try to pitch in late September and October. But I didn't. What I did know, however, was that he is injury prone. I don't know if its due to his mechanics, or the bad luck to have a high pain tolerance which means he hurts himself worse than us normal humans.

However, a guy who's always hurt isn't worth the $12Mil he was seeking. I've said that all along, and it turns out I was right.

Aren't you glad we didn't sign Sheets now?

While he and the Brewers discuss who will pay for his surgery, I now have a thought: Sign him to a 3 year deal - league minimum this season, $5-6 Mil for 2010 and 2011, but heavily incentive laden - so that if he does pitch, he's a real bargain, but if he doesn't, we don't throw Mark Mulder money at him.

No comments: